Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Plan


The general plan is to build a car I can drive. Show cars are great,and I enjoy them but not for me. The big attraction to the MGA for me, besides it's great looks, is the simpleness of the design. The body can be removed from the frame which allows easy access for inspection & repair. This car was not a luxury car and with the lack of roll up windows (roadster) the number of components that need refurbishing is reduced to a minimum.
You are left with the barest of essentials of a true sports car. And a sports car needs to be driven.

I want to keep the car as true to original as possible while still allowing for some modern upgrades when they can be easily hidden, the vintage spirit must be maintained. Some of these will include a 5sp transmission, MGB brake calipers --did I say modern?--,a MGB cylinder head, a removable third brake light, a radio hidden under dash, 3 point seat belts.


Since this project is for fun, I'm not sticking to a real ridged time line and therefore will be jumping around a bit to keep things enjoyable. The plan is to begin with chassis and all its components including engine and transmission. Hopefully this will be completed by fall of 2009. Then spring of 2010 I will begin the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment