Sunday, August 16, 2009

The New Car

.
During the summer of 2008 I was surfing the internet for MGB, thinking about a high school chum who had a slightly beat up MGB we used to bomb around in. After viewing a bunch of MGBs, a photo of a MGA appeared on the monitor and I was hooked;  I had never seen one before-- I guess growing up in Edmonton limited my opportunity to see an MGA. Wow what a gorgeous car! I hadn't been so excited about a car since my first one, a 65 Chevy.

I spent a couple of months reading up on these cool little cars, getting a feel for them. There was no question, I had to have one. I was lucky to find one for sale in Canada and struck up a deal with the owner. My wife & I picked up the car on the Sept long weekend 2008. The wet weather didn't dampen my excitement, and after a long round trip drive to Saskatchewan the car settled into its new home.

The car is a 1958 MGA1500, designed and built by British Motor Corporation B.M.C., more famous for there very successful MGB, I suppose.

MGA was extremely successful when introduced, with over 100,000 cars being built between 1955 to1962. The car had some minor styling changes through out the production run but most of the changes were to mechanical upgrades for power and reliability. The majority of units were exported to the United States, which is still the best place to find used parts.

  • 1500 (1955 - 1959)
  • Twin Cam (1958 - 1960)
  • 1600 model (1959-1961)
  • 1600 Mk II (1961-1962)
  • 1600 Deluxe & 1600 MK II Deluxe (After the Twin Cam was phased out, Some 1600 and 1600 MK II were offered using the twin cam chassis, along with unique twin cam options. These were designated as "1600 De-luxe & 1600 MK II Deluxe") .

All years and all models were offered in both the roadster and the coupe versions (1956 on), as well as, Left-hand and Right-hand drive. It is a fairly easy task to convert from LHD to RHD or vise-verse, and with many US cars coming home to England, it is a popular conversion.


With its unique and powerful engine the Twin Cam is the most sought after MGA, and the 1500 the most plentyful. The coupe seems to trail a little behind the roadster in popularity. although they do have their own class of coolness. Coupes have a few neat features lacking on the roadster, like door handles and roll-up windows. 

The simplicity of the MGA makes it a perfect candidate for a DIY restorer. Not much more then typical home mechanic's tools are needed. 

My car's previous owner had started a restoration, basically the car had been dismantled and stored in boxes. Some "bodywork" has been started. Hopefully I can figure out where everything goes.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment